OMG, this is so delicious and easy to make you won’t believe how good it tastes. Creamy, flavorful and great texture. Very satisfying.
|Preparation Time||Time To Table|
|15 min.||30 min.|
- 3 6" white corn tortilla(s) , plus more for strips
- 2 Tbsp. g.f. all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 C. onion(s), dicedFODMAP
- 4 oz. green chiles diced, can, diced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic clove(s), mincedFODMAP
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 32 oz. g.f. chicken broth
- 1/2 C. coconut milk, canned , canned or half and half
- 1 chicken breast(s), boneless, skinless, cooked and shredded or chopped
- 1/2 C. monterey jack cheese, shredded, optional
Cut three tortillas into 9ths; place in food processor or blender and chop till fine.
Add flour, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper; blend to the consistency of cornmeal.
Place oil in a soup pot over medium high heat, add onion, chiles and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft.
Add butter, after it melts: add tortilla flour mixture to the pot and mix till thickened. Cook 5 minutes stirring constantly so it won’t burn.
Slowly add broth. Add coconut milk and bring to a slow simmer and cook 7 minutes. Do not let soup come to a hard boil. Add chicken, heat through.
Tortilla strips: slice 2 corn tortillas into ¼” strips. Bake in oven or toaster oven at 300 degrees for 15 minutes, or until crunchy.
Turn off heat and as the soup cools a bit, add the shredded cheese and tortilla strips.